The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) is a critical piece of the system of engine parts that regulates the amount of fuel and air that enters into your engine for combustion. Failure of the mass airflow sensor will be highly detrimental to your vehicle, particularly a Mercedes, which is held to a very high standard.
This article is going to cover the basics of your vehicle’s MAS, what can cause it to stop working properly, signs and symptoms of its failure and where to get your MAS repaired if you live in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
The Importance of the Mass Airflow Sensor
An aptly-named piece of equipment, the mass airflow sensor is responsible for measuring the amount of air that flows into your engine. This information is needed for the engine control unit to do its job properly.
The ECU is responsible for delivering the correct amount of fuel to the cylinders to be used for combustion based upon the amount of air that has entered.
You will be able to find your Mercedes’ MAS under the hood. It is located near the piping of the air box in most models. This is a small part but has a substantial effect on your engine’s performance.
Why You May Be Experiencing Problems With Your MAS
Like with the rest of your vehicle’s parts and pieces, dust and grime will accumulate over time on the MAS as a part of normal wear and tear. This is, by and large, the most common cause of MAS failure in most vehicles. It may simply occur as you rack up more miles on your automobile.
You can easily determine if contamination is to blame for MAS failure in your car. Look under the hood and inspect the MAS. If it is dirty, spray some MAS cleaner. Be sure to not scrub it.
There are several other causes of MAS failure, including contact faults at the electrical connections, damaged measuring elements, and mechanical damage.
Common Signs of MAS Failure
If you have a good understanding of the signs of MAS failure, you will be able to identify the issue quickly before it leads to greater problems and get your Mercedes service by a certified technician. Here are some common symptoms of MAS failure:
- It is difficult to turn the engine over: If you notice that you are having trouble starting up your vehicle, take a look at your MAS to see if it is the culprit.
- The engine stalls after starting: If the engine is stalling, it is often due to an incorrect fuel ratio, which can be caused by a faulty MAS.
- Hesitation and jerking during acceleration: Engine misfiring, which results in a hesitation or jerking sensation during acceleration, is also caused by an incorrect fuel ratio. This may be caused by a faulty MAS.
- Excessively rich or lean idling: If you notice that your has a exhaust funny smell, particularly one like rotten eggs, it is because the fuel ratio is too rich. This means that not all the fuel is burned off and is consequently released in the exhaust.
- Poor gas mileage: As the engine becomes less efficient as a result of a bad MAS, your gas mileage will start to drop, often dramatically.
The Benz Shop Is the Industry Standard for MAS Repairs
We understand that any car problem is often a huge pain in the neck, especially when you lead a busy life. An MAS failure is a serious problem that needs to be addressed promptly. You are going to need a trusted and reliable auto repair shop to fix your Mercedes’ MAS, so that you are able to get back on the road.
The Benz Shop in Phoenix, AZ is the perfect location for all Mercedes drivers who want the best for their vehicles. We are only a short drive from the surrounding communities we proudly serve including Scottsdale, Glendale, Tempe, Chandler and Paradise Valley.
Our certified mechanics are unmatched in the auto repair industry, and our friendly, knowledgeable staff always put our customers first. We believe that there is no issue too big or too small for our dedicated team. We make it our duty to get it right the first time, every time. Call us today for an appointment.